We are the voice of the people of New Zealand. Together with local councils - our members who are living and working in, for and with their communities - we put local issues on the national agenda.
Our focus is on building a better New Zealand from the ground up. Because we know that New Zealand’s economic and social wellbeing is all about healthy and thriving communities, their economies and their environments.
Building better can often be about doing things differently. Key to change are the three major reform programmes – Future for Local Government, three waters and resource management - which we welcome and seek engagement on.
You can also read our policy priorities, submissions and publications.
As local democracy's vision and voice, we support councils around the country.
- LGNZ's Submission on the Proposals for the Smoked Tobacco Regulatory Regime
- Tomorrow's local government – response to the FFLG Panel’s draft report
- LGNZ Submission on the Water Services Legislation Bill and Water Services Economic Efficiency and Consumer Protection Bill
- LGNZ Submission on the Natural and Built Environment Bill and Spatial Planning Bill
- Local Government New Zealand’s submission on the Inquiry into the 2022 Local Elections